About the Greater Manchester Colleges Group
The group has been working together at Principal level since 2010 and in 2013 the group established a joint venture company making it the first of its kind in a city region.
As a group, we work together and with our stakeholders to respond to the challenge we are all facing and ensure that collectively we turn strategy into action, words into work opportunities and create life chances for all the people of Greater Manchester.
The GMCG’s main objectives are to:
- Provide a strategic focus for Further Education in Greater Manchester; developing the workforce and entrepreneurs needed to support and grow the economy.
- Work within Greater Manchester with government, other agencies, large companies and organisations to run projects that achieve an impact locally and regionally.
Read our full Manifesto here.
Together as a group, the GMCG:
- Serves the needs of 128,000 learners each year, from young people through to adults; including 5,000 students studying for higher level qualifications at their local college
- Works with over 10,000 businesses and support over 5,000 of their staff through Apprenticeships and training
- Sends over 11,000 students to university each year
- Makes a difference – the total added income created by the GMCG member colleges was approximately equal to 5.1% of the total economic output of the Greater Manchester Area in 2011-12 and represented roughly 129,501 average wage jobs.
The net impact of staff and member college expenditure in the Greater Manchester Area comes to approximately £328.7 million in added income in the regional economy each year.